1st Dorking (St Martin’s)

Past News

District Tweets

Home > 1st Dorking (St Martin’s)

1st Dorking (St Martin’s)

[ A+ ] /[ A- ]

The 1st Dorking (St Martin’s) Scout Group at its Centenary Camp at Walton Firs in September 2008 photographed with the High Sheriff of Surrey.

 

The 1st Dorking (St Martin’s) Scout Group is one of the twenty oldest in the world.

Scouting started in 1907 and in 1908, the same year Robert Baden-Powell (in conjunction with publisher Arthur Pearson) published Scouting for Boys, the 1stDorking Troop was founded with 8 boys under Mr. Cavan. By the middle of the year, there were 25 members and Mr. Cecil Hodges, a local solicitor, took over. He became the first District Commissioner for Dorking (1909-1911).

Boys walked in from the outlying villages to join the “town” boys in the 1st Troop. Eventually these “village Scouts” returned to their own villages and started their own Troops.

In 1916, the Wolf Cub Section of the Scout Movement came into being and the 1st Dorking Cub Pack began. Our Beaver Colony was established in 1988, shortly after this Section was introduced by the Scout Association.

Rover Scouts were founded in 1918, Senior Scouts in 1946 and Venture Scouts in 1967. In 2001 they became Explorer Scouts and meet as a District Unit (rather than part of a Group). The 1st Group strongly supports, and provides many members to, the District Explorer Scout Unit.

In 1985 the Group entered into a sponsorship agreement with St Martins Church and adopted its current name,

the 1st Dorking (St Martin’s) Scout Group. The Group has a thriving Beaver Colony, an exciting Cub Pack and an adventurous Scout Troop.